Visitor Services Associate (Part-Time)
Strategic Job Description:
Every employee at the Louisiana Children’s Museum has the same Strategic Job Description. It includes three elements, listed in order of priority.
- Your first priority – Is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything.
- Your second priority – Is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority – Is to carry out your job function.
The Visitor Services Associate serves as a frontline ambassador for LCM in a very multi-functional role. Primarily, they are directly responsible for setting the tone of every museum visit by welcoming each visitor and family to the museum. VSAs will be expected to share the story of LCM’s new location in City Park, and will need to know the full roster of programming and events and outdoor conditions featured at LCM. With the reopening of our building, each family and visitor to the museum will need to be “oriented” to the new experiences of the museum.
The VSA will also be responsible for all transactions: admissions, memberships, birthday parties, field trip visits, and more. They will be managed by and will work closely with the museum’s Visitor Services Manager, and will be required to open and close the registers, balance bank deposits, prepare change orders and daily sales reports. Since the VSAs are the point of entry for the paid experience of the museum, they will also monitor the entrance to the Atrium.
Additionally, VSAs will serve as the first point of contact for any additional visitors to the campus: taking deliveries, signing for packages, directing partners to meetings, etc. They will monitor all front desk phone calls, directing calls and taking messages, as needed.
And finally, the VSAs will be involved in data collection of visitors to the museum. They will a part of the evaluation and survey projects of the museum, interacting with visitors and families as they enter and exit the museum to assess the quality of their experience.
This is a part-time, hourly position, approx. 20-25 hours per week. We are currently looking for people who are available to work both during the week and on weekends. Our operating hours are Tuesday – Saturday 9:30am – 4:30pm and Sundays from 11:30am – 4:30pm. We are looking for candidates who would be available to start mid-May for training with a museum reopening of May 29, 2021.
Reports to: Visitor Services Manager
Coordinates with: Museum Experience Manager, Museum Experience Assistant, all frontline staff
Interacts with: LCM members, visitors, board members, the general public
- Excellent customer service skills, with a minimum 1 year experience working in customer service, sales, and/or hospitality
- Knowledge of Point of Sales systems; knowledge of Razor’s Edge a plus
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in cash handling and credit card transactions
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Excellent communications skills, with an ability to engage with both adult caregivers and children
- Must be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess high standards, a positive attitude, be detail oriented, and work well both with others and independently
- Must possess a passion for the mission and work of the Louisiana Children’s Museum
- Welcoming, enthusiastic, engaging presence
- Detail oriented, organizational abilities, strong computational skills
- Strong time management, multitasker, ability to work under pressure
- Steward of relationships (members, volunteers, donors, staff)
- Able to accept feedback and willingness to continually improve
- Leadership qualities found in all of our staff: courage, humility, a life-long love of learning, a yearning to excel and help others excel, a deep moral code, excitement about the world, a sense of humor, the ability to illustrate your visions, and a genuine interest in people
Responsibilities and Duties
- Serving as the first ambassador to the museum – setting a playful & positive tone for every visit, welcoming families with warmth and excitement, sharing information about the museum in an efficient but enthusiastic way.
- Processing all transactions on the museum’s POS and register system – handling ticketing, selling memberships, processing birthdays and group visits.
- Maintaining accurate daily sales records – opening & closing the registers each day, assembling bank deposits and change orders for the Business Manager.
- Fostering relationships with museum members – operating Raiser’s Edge database, greet families by name, learning about repeat visitors to create a personalized museum experience.
- Sharing information and orienting new visitors to the new museum – outdoor conditions (muddy, rainy, sunny, etc.), daily roster of programs (what they are and where they will be), and upcoming events (what they are and when they will be). Give directions in a clear and concise manner.
- Serve as front desk reception for the administrative offices – welcoming board members and partners for meetings, answering front desk phone lines and directing calls to the appropriate staff member, signing for packages and notifying staff when things arrive, directing the general public to the Museum Store, to Acorn, to other attractions in the park.
- Assist the Education team in data collection – surveying visitors, collecting zip codes, contributing to evaluation projects to measure the quality of the museum’s experiences offered.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned
- TAM retail software
- LCM’s Raiser’s Edge database
- Customer Service Manual
- Education Programmatic calendar
- Special Events calendar
- Standards of Engagement training manual
- LCM Staff Handbook
LCM’s mission is to provide a safe environment for children [you can elaborate on this]. Therefore, LCM requires employees to be immunized against COVID-19. All employees must have received required doses of an approved COVID-19 immunization before starting work. The Company will consider accommodations for disability and religious based reasons.
To apply, please provide a resume and cover letter to Candice Lobban at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address the “Responsibilities and Duties” section of the job description and outline how your skill set aligns with our requirements. If a cover letter is not submitted with your resume, your application will not be considered. Thank you for your interest in the Louisiana Children’s Museum.