Museum Store Sales Associate (Part-Time)
Strategic Job Description:
Every employee at the Louisiana Children’s Museum has the same Strategic Job Description. It includes three elements, listed in order of priority.
- Your first priority – Is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything.
- Your second priority – Is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority – Is to carry out your job function.
A Museum Store Sales Associate is responsible for merchandising, selling, working with the customers, and presenting a positive role model to the children who come into the store. This is a part-time position working Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (approximately 21.5 hours). Opportunities to cross-train between other departments is available if additional hours are wanted.
Key functions include:
Merchandising inventory in Museum Store – strategic and artistic arrangement of varied inventory throughout the store’s display units, so as to satisfy potential customers and maximize sales
Selling inventory – connecting with potential customers to explain value of each item selected for Museum Store, value it brings to child development (or other value, such as souvenir of New Orleans visit or LCM trip), and ability to meet annual sales goal of $250,000.
Displaying the ability to build a positive culture within the Museum Store that advances the brand of LCM and has the technical capability (POS) and inventory knowledge to support the goals (financial and developmental) of the store.
Reports to: the Store Manager
Interacts with: Visitors and customers, all LCM staff
- College degree preferred, preferably in business or education
- Several years retail work
- Computer and Point of Sale skills
- Diplomacy and ability to handle a great variety of people and situations with strong customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Creative, strategic, big picture and resourceful thinker
- Steward of relationships (media, donors, staff)
- Strong time management
Responsibilities and Duties
- Represent the Museum Store as a business within a non-profit business, and manage all aspects of inventory and visitor needs with utmost professionalism
- Work with the Store Manager and the education staff to determine best buys for exhibits and program alignment & to inform them about products tied to programs & exhibits
- Maintain cleanly and attractive store setting with optimal product placement for maximum sales
- Check out guests through the Point of Sale system; handling transaction that are both cash and credit cards
- Other duties as assigned
LCM’s mission is to provide a safe environment for children [you can elaborate on this]. Therefore, LCM requires employees to be immunized against COVID-19. All employees must have received required doses of an approved COVID-19 immunization before starting work. The Company will consider accommodations for disability and religious based reasons.
To apply, please provide a resume and cover letter to Betsy Ordemann at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address the “Requirements and Duties” section of the job description and outline how your skill set aligns with our requirements. If a cover letter is not submitted with your resume, your application will not be considered. Thank you for your interest in the Louisiana Children’s Museum.